Thursday, March 6, 2008

First days in Lyantonde

Well, it's hard to believe, but I've made it...I'm in my new town in Uganda! It was quite the journey getting here, both from figuring out the logistics stateside (including moving out of my house, tying up loose ends, quitting my job at The Quincy, taking care of my dental emergencies, packing, etc.) and the actual journey flying from DC to London (3 fabulous days in London spent with 4 friends I hadn't seen in almost 4 years!) and then London to Entebbe. Upon arrival at the airport (9 am), I was greeted by RACOBAO's director and we drove the hour to Kampala where we then spent a few hours driving around running errands for both of us. Then a 3 hour drive to Lyantonde. I slept most of the day in the car...my body clock was just all messed up...and we arrived at the office and my new home at 5 pm! Wow. But I made it:).

The last few days have been quite calm and relaxing...as I feel daily life in Uganda tends to be. I think my body is finally adjusted to the new time zone...10 hours ahead of east coast...so that helps. I have met a lot of the people who work here; gone to the market with Ruth and Goretti for pineapple, passion fruit and guacomole fixings:); eaten goat, but passed on the traditional breakfast of plantain and cow intestines; gone into the field and observed as they interviewed potential volunteers; read/written by karosene lantern light just like Laura Ingalls (power goes out often); enjoyed a few cold showers (not sure if water actually gets warm); been greeted at my front door by a few grazing cows; and I've been followed by several different possies of children excited to see a white person (Mzungu)...i think some of them may have never seen anyone like me before! So, it's been a good week so far...I completely lose track of time and days, which is kind of nice in a way. It's so carefree; very little stress. It is very quiet in this little town, except for the birds; and at night it is quite dark because there are no street lights anywhere. It is quite a simple life; many soft spoken people; lots of smiles.

So, all is well. I plan to explore this weekend a bit and will write again soon. I cannot say thank you enough to all of you who have supported me for so long; through all of my good/happy moments and all of the hard/sad ones. I wouldn't be here if it weren't for you and for all of your love and patience and understanding. Thank you forever from the bottom of my heart...I carry you always with me.

4 comments:

Janelleyo Con Queso said...

so glad you are blogging your adventure! can't wait to hear more - i'm also very sorry to hear about your grandmother :( - love,janelle

Unknown said...

Hi Marci! I'm glad you are adjusting to life in Uganda. I've enjoyed reading your blogs and will be sure to check in every week for updates. I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother. I know she is watching over you from heaven.

Teresa Williams said...

Marci,
I am so happy for you. I told Jimmy that you just don't belong in the states! You are a wondering woman who is passionate about helping others and learning about other cultures. It is who you are. I am happy that this journey will hopefully be full of accomplishments, triumps and self discovery. Who knows, maybe you'll even meet a husband who shares the same passions that you do! I miss you and am excited to hear about all of your wonderful adventures and live vicariously through you! If my situation were different at home, I would be right there with you! I am very sorry to hear about your grandmother, I know she was important to you. Talk to you soon...be careful

scott hoover said...

Hey Marci. I'm so glad to hear from you, even if it's via internet. I was just telling everyone in Pittsburgh about your new adventure to Uganda. I was telling everyone that I could picture you doing something along these lines for a very long time. You are like our little Angelina Jolie. Also, I heard about your grandmother and I'm so sorry. Hope you are okay- I know how important family and friends are to you. Happy Birthday sweetums. Love you. Scotty