Friday, January 9, 2009

Reflections and hopes for a better 2009...

I’ve looked back at past blogs, from the spring and from this winter and am a bit disappointed. I apologize to those of you out there reading this and hoping to hear stories about the people I am meeting in the field and working with…about the work that I am doing. To be honest, things haven’t been as fantastic as I had hoped for; and they most certainly have not been as peaceful and relaxing and self reflective as they were in Lyantonde in the spring. The thing is…we make decisions in life and then, somehow, we have to make the most of the situations that arise. And right now, I am really trying my best to make things right…to make them better; to make them what I hoped they would be. I came back to Uganda because I found such happiness here in the work I was doing and the life I was leading gave me so much peace. But I came back to a different town and different work and different people and I just need a bit more time. As one of my closest friends once told me, sometimes we find ourselves completely lost in a deep, dark forest and the sooner we realize we are lost and find the strength to turn around and walk back…the easier it will be to get out and find the light again. I have found myself completely lost and am trying my best to find my way out of the forest...because although 2009 started off completely wrong, there is much time to change that. I still have many hopes that this can be a wonderful year full of exploration, love, adventure, friendship, hope, triumphs, surprises and much much more. "We are the music makers...we are the dreamers of dreams."

To all of you out there that donated money for me to put into the communities and organizations here, please do not doubt that your money is being put to good use. I did a few projects with Soft Power Education before the end of the year and my colleagues at RACOBAO continue to thank me for the funds we have raised. And I know that when I give them another big handful of money later this month, they will thank me again, especially because funds are always so limited for them at the beginning of the year. Your donations are going to help us to get into the field to meet with new families in need and find out how we can help them. They will provide uniforms to children so that they can attend school. They will buy a goat for a family to give them a source of sustainable income. They will be used to help sponsor a child to finish school. They will help a woman living with HIV/AIDS get the medicine she needs to live a healthier life. And so much more. Never doubt that your money is being put to good use, because even if I am still trying to find my way…your donations have never been lost! And again, I thank you all for your generosity.

No comments: