Thursday, May 1, 2008

Kayaking Grade 5 Rapids on the Nile!

So, I really wanted to tell you about last weekend: I went back to the Nile River (and Nile River Explorers!), but this time I faced the Grade 1-5 rapids in a tandem kayak. It was amazing! Pretty hardcore; very fun; and, of course…gorgeous. We rolled in 3 of the rapids, although I was bad at that part and always got a bit disoriented. The first time I stayed under a bit too long and I was actually under the water thinking to myself, “I can’t breathe, I’m kind of drowning” but it never dawned on me to just release my skirt and get out. It was so peaceful; I felt safe; I wasn’t scared at all. When the boat and I surfaced for a second (my tandem guy, Charlie, had already released himself at this point…smart guy that he is!), I was surrounded by safety kayakers screaming, “YOU HAVE TO RELEASE…YOU HAVE TO GET OUT OF THERE!” It was really cute! When I finally got myself out of the boat and crazy waves and was holding on to the safety kayak (Hassan was assigned to our tandem kayak and saved me three times!) to get back to mine, I couldn’t stop laughing…it was great. Just like last time, I really loved being rescued by the safety kayakers. They are like you’re knight in shining armor riding a white horse, but in this case they are riding a kayak and wearing life vests and helmets! When you see them coming to get you out of the waves and rapids, you can’t help but smile.
The next two times we went under I prematurely released myself (smile) because I was nervous from that first time! Even though we were known as the “swim team” because we rolled and released so many times, I spent the day laughing (Charlie’s laugh is infectious), talking about life in Uganda and different events in our lives and enjoying the beautiful scenery. It was truly another amazing and special day.
Later that night I partied pretty hard, making up for the quiet of my life in Lyantonde I guess! Charlie and Alex (my rafting guide from the first trip) both hung out and several other Ugandans with me and my two new friends from the day, Emily and Alistair, an engaged couple from Tasmania, Australia. We even got the beer funnel/bong out (the pictures were lost with the camera)…which took me straight back to my college years! Sunday I nursed my hangover with 2 chapati omelettes from the Bujagali Chapati guy…mmmm…seriously amazing food and then several hours relaxing at one of the pools in town (with a beer and sprite cocktail of course!). It was another great weekend at the source of the Nile. Something about that area…something about it pulls me back. The happy/fun Ugandan kayakers and rafters; all the adventurous travelers; the Nile River; the scenery; the crazy bar scene at night, the chapati omelettes (!). Something about it is so peaceful, relaxing and fun that I can’t help but end up back there again soon!
I have DVDs of both the rafting and the kayaking to show when I get home!

No comments: